Tuesday, 12 April 2016

Quick & dirty DIY Buchla to Euro conversion

These are my quick and dirty DIY notes for a Buchla to Euro power converter.
This blog is my diary for ideas, projects etc that are on going. It helps me to remember details that I usually loose if I don't write down.

This will probably change as I refine the circuit. if you have any suggestions for improvements, please let me know.

Buchla provides -15,+15,+12,+5.
Euro needs +12,-12,+5.
So we need a -12V for Buchla & Euro modules to exist in the same case.
Using a L7912CV voltage regulator.
 http://www.st.com/web/en/resource/technical/document/datasheet/CD00000450.pdf


This was my first attempt using perf board.
In the first attempt, the caps were both 1uF electros

Attempt # 2 ... using a 1uf & 2.2uf cap.

I built this for a friend about a year ago and he reports that it's still happily chugging along.
It might be a good idea to add a heat sink to the regulator. C1 is required for stability. A tantalum is recommended, though in this mock up I used a straight electro.

If electrolytics are used and you are planning to run lots of euro maybe ten times (or more) value capacitors should be selected.???

AND: a high current diode from input to output (1N4001 or similar)
should be introduced to protect the device from momentary input short circuit.

29/0416
Some new pics care of Cobramatic.
Paul has used tanties and he reports no problems.
This board doesn't use a heatsink -- will see how this goes over time.

The Buchla (BEMI) power board is on the top.


Disclaimer: 
I take no responsibility if this damages any Euro or Buchla modules or starts a fire. 
Modular gear requires care and more that a casual understanding of electronics.
Don't build this if you are not totally confident with your soldering skills.
These are just working ideas that will be refined over the coming years.

1 comment:

  1. This is a great idea. Look forward to seeing where it goes..

    ReplyDelete