Tuesday 11 May 2021

Access Virus TI Control Centre - Burning to ROM

My Virus TI was purchased many years ago, and I'm re-familiarizing myself with it.
TI = Total Integration.
 

 
This means you can connect it to a computer and among other things, arrange your presets and patches via a VST.
For a machine that it now almost 20 years old, this is still really cool.
The makers in Berlin were way ahead of their time.
The memory consists of 4 banks or RAM and 26 banks of ROM (read only memory).
RAM (random access memory) is where you save any new patches to.
 

 
However, my RAM banks are full and I wish to transfer some of those patches to a ROM bank, to free up space for new patches.
 
I couldn't find much info in the web, but I think this procedure works.

You need to do what's called "Burn To Flash". 
This seems the same as burning to a ROM bank.
Do let me know if there are any mistakes in the procedure.
 
I'm burning from RAM A to ROM T 

 
 
This is a unedited video of the procedure.
There is no sound.
 
 From the TI quickstart guide:
Burn To Flash allows you to overwrite the content of the ROM banks in your Virus TI. 
As you may have already noticed, the Virus TI memory has been expanded to 26 ROM banks and all the new ones are only filled with INIT sounds. All those unused banks are waiting to be filled using Burn To Flash. 
 
 
In order to transfer a bank of sounds to the ROM section you need to select a source bank first. The “Select source bank” menu shows exactly the same choice of banks you see in Virus Control.

Next you need to decide where you want to write the bank to. 
By clicking on the letters A-Z you select the target for the transfer, as well as see the present content of the bank to be overwritten. Once you made up your choice, 
hit “OK” and proceed from the top again in case you want to overwrite more 
banks in your Virus TI.

The user bank icon indicates which banks already have been overwritten in the past. 
To restore the original banks later, see “Advanced Menu” below."
 

 The first time I tried this my Virus Locked up (above pic).
 

 
But with the second attempt all worked fine.


Only issue I found was that the newly burned ROM banks don't show up in the VST Plugin browser, though they are definitely there.
If anyone knows how to fix this, please shoot me a message.

Hope this helps others out there.

Many thanks to Marshal Arnold for his excellent video of the ultimate Virus TI setup in Abelton.
 
Links
+ Access Virus -The different versions 
 
 
 

1 comment: