Wednesday 27 October 2021

Korg Wavestate 2.0 updating firmware using a windows 10 PC

 The latest korg update for the wavestate synth is incredible and well worth doing.
Being able to see a graphical representation of whats happening under the hood of the synth makes understanding wave sequencing so much easier.

Initially I had a few problems updating to 2.0
All the videos I watched used a mac. But I'm PC based.
It took a few hours to work it out, so I thought I'd write this down before I forget the details.
 
The korg download page is here:
 

 
 
There are 3 downloads which you need:
The updater, the editor/librarian,and the sample builder.

Download all 3 but don't install the editor or librarian till you have updated the firmware of your Wavestate.

My Wavestate before the update was firmware 1.0.4.

In order to update I needed to 
A. Change the firmware to 1.0.6.
B. Swap network drivers
C. Then update the wavestate to 2.0.1
D. Swap drivers again
This was what I was initially confused about.
 
So you need to swap drivers for your PC's network adapter twice.
Once for the update to firmware 1.0.6, then again for 2.0.1
 
 
Before you do anything, find out what firmware your Wavestate is running.
Go to utilities, then press shift and the page + button.
.... scroll to the very last page.
Press UTILITY twice, and then hold SHIFT and press > (PAGE +)

On this utilities section you can see the method of  communication that your synth is currently using.
Is it just  MIDI over USB or network over USB?
Anything prior to 1.0.6 uses MIDI over USB.


If this page is named only MIDI, and the "USB Network" parameter does not appear, you will need to
 update to software 1.0.6 before proceeding

The earlier firmware talks to your computer via USB midi
The new firmware also talks via the same USB cable, but uses a network protocol.
Thats why you need to swap the drivers for your network adapter.
 
Networking uses the NCM protocol (for MacOS and Windows 10)
I needed to install the CDC NCN driver first. 
Once you have done this, you can then update to frmware1.0.6

Then the Usb Ncn driver. 
 
------------------------------
Method
 Part1
To change the drivers plug the wavestate into the computer and then go to the device manager.

RNDIS configuration: Windows 10
  1. Locate the RNDIS Driver that has a yellow triangular caution sign. It should be located under Other devices.
  2. Right-click on that driver listing & select Update Driver.
  3. Choose Browse My Computer For Drivers, then Let Me Pick From A List Of Available Drivers.
  4. Select Network Adapters from the list and click Next.
    • The list will take a moment to populate.
  5. From the list of manufacturers on the left, select Microsoft.
  6. Then, from the list of drivers on the right, select USB RNDIS adapter.
  7. Launch the wavestate Updater app.
 Part 2
 
 Update the firmware to 2.0
     Do this with the wavestate Updater app.
     connect the wavestate to your computer, launch the wavestate Updater app, then press Start
     Once the device reboots, the firmware update is complete. 
 

Part 3
NCM configuration: Windows 10
 Hopefully, your wavestate is now running firmware 2.0
Check using the Utilities menu.
NCM is only supported with wavestate software version 2.0 or later. 
If you are still running 1.0.6, you’ll need to use RNDIS for the update, and then switch to NCM after the update is complete. 

1. Plug in the USB cable from the wavestate

 
 

 
2. . On the wavestate, make sure that the USB Network parameter is set to NCM.
 
3. Open the Device Manager.

 
 4. Confirm that a new device named “CDC NCM” is present under the “Other devices” heading. 
 
5. Right click on the new NCM device and select “Update driver.” 
 

 
6. Click “Browse my computer for driver software.” 
7. Click “Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer.” 
 
 

 
8. If necessary, select “Network Adapter” for the device type and click “Next.” Otherwise, skip to the next step.
 9. Select “Microsoft” for the Manufacturer. 
10. Select “UsbNcm Host Device” for the Model and click “Next.” A warning may appear: “Installing this device is not recommended.” If so, press “Yes” to continue. Wait for the process to complete, and close the window when done

 



now that  the USB network is set up, you can run the Updater itself.
reboot.
Connect the synth via a USB cable
Run the updater app again
Press Start to begin the update.
 



8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Im not sure who I can suggest. I used a relatively new PC. I did originally try the update with an old PC running windows 10, but this wasn't successful. Have you worked out what firmware your korg is running? Update it to firmware 1.6 first. I think the confusing thing was swapping the network adapters.
      You need to do this twice.
      Where do you live? Are you close to a synth retailer who deal with Korg?

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. Correction... update to 1.0.6 first. Then to 2.0.1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Hello, I'm sorry the wavestate has given you so many problems.
      Im at a loss to think of a solution.
      It sounds like you are on the right track though. I recently updated my wavestate to firmware 2.1.0 (in order to run the natvie plugin) and when I tried the editor I received exactly the same message: "waiting for device".
      I needed to update the editor to version 111.
      The previous editor version was 1.0.1
      Before, you sell it, check that you have the latest version of the editor.
      Best wishes, jono

      Delete
    3. Thanks. I think I got it now. I have to reinstall the RNDIS drivers every time I want to start the editor librarian. 🤦‍♂️ It's a pain in the butt & I don't understand why the Wavestate does that, but at least it works & I was able to load all the patch banks I've purchased. Again, thanks so much for your time & patience. 👍

      Delete