Saturday 14 January 2023

Arturia Beatstep Pro with Korg MS20 / MS10

 The beatstep pro is a cheap and excellent device to sequence all your old Korg Gear.


Here is part of my current Korg setup


The two SQ-10 sequencers are tricky to clock.
The one on the right clocks nicely from a SQ-1 (though the rate is a bit fast), 
but the left one takes a little more encouragement.
I'm not sure why they are different.

These are the Beatstep pro settings I came up with that clock both the SQ-10s
They seem to require a old fashioned analog clock.
(1 step). 
This is great for Eurorack gear, but much of the more modern Korg devices  such as the SQ-1
prefer 2ppqn

As far as polarity .. both a positive and neg trigger worked,
But I think old Korg is all about shorting triggers so I left it negative for now.


So in order to clock both SQ-10s, I used a 1step setting (in the Sync section).



This however led to any volca gear and the SQ-1 running at twice speed.
Luckly the Korg MS-50 has a clock divider.


Note, that if you do use the 1step setting you may not be able to trigger your Volca drums via midi.
the 2ppqn setting seems to be needed for that to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment