Monday 7 June 2021

Roland TR 606 - tear down

Some pics of a Roland Tr-606

 
Since it's 606 day I thought it would be fun to see inside of one.
I usually use my modded Analogue Solutions 606. The regular 606 has (in my humble opinion) a less than "boomy" BD.
Still, it's a great drum machine



This particular 606 has been sitting in storage for years.
It seems to work OK except for a scratchy main volume pot.
This is it's only "problem".
 
 To open it up just unscrew the back

It's held together with 7 screws.

After you lift off the back you can see the main PCB.
It will still be connected to the front panel via the battery compartment.




Remove the two screws holding the battery compartment to the front section.
You can then see the front of the 606
BTW, the 606 uses a DC PSU
Output: 9 volts 300mA regulated - centre negative 2.1mm DC plug

The front section looks OK,
The dust covers for the pots are still there.
That's a good sign it hasn't been tampered with.
And the plastic standoffs look original.... and not broken either :-)

A close up of the main PCB.
Nice, seems it's never been repaired ??
 

 A side pic of the DIN connector, RUN/STOP jack section

 
The other side
 

 The 606 is built of 3 PCBs.
They are very tightly stacked together.

I kind of intended to take this drum completely apart when I first opened it up.
However, it looks like no one has touched it since it left the factory.
Since it only has one scratchy pot, I think I'll try to restrain my urge to pull it to 
pieces till the time comes when it needs a proper service.
 
Links

No comments:

Post a Comment