Saturday, 29 August 2020

Top 30 automatic movements ranked by value for money

 I'm weighting:
  • Movement quality
  • Real-world accuracy
  • Reliability
  • Power reserve
  • Serviceability / parts availability
  • Cost of the watch containing it
  • How much extra you are actually getting as you move up the price ladder

That last point is crucial. A $1,000 movement isn't necessarily twice as good as a $500 movement.

Current market data also supports the idea that Miyota and Seiko dominate the value end, while Sellita/ETA occupy the traditional Swiss middle ground. 


..................
RankMovementTypical watch price*Power reserveValueMy verdict
1Miyota 9015$400–900~42h⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Best overall value
2Seiko NH35$200–500~41h⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Best cheap movement
3Sellita SW200-1$600–1,500~38h⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Best Swiss workhorse
4Seiko 4R35/4R36$250–600~41h⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Outstanding value
5Tissot/ETA Powermatic 80$600–1,200~80h⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Best power reserve/value
6Miyota 9039$500–1,000~42h⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Excellent slim no-date
7Orient F6922$250–500~40h⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Superb inexpensive in-house
8Seiko 6R35$700–1,300~70h⭐⭐⭐⭐½Excellent everyday movement
9Miyota 8215$200–400~42h⭐⭐⭐⭐½Cheap and proven
10ETA 2824-2$700–1,500+~38h⭐⭐⭐⭐½Classic Swiss benchmark
11Seiko 6R15$600–1,200 used~50h⭐⭐⭐⭐½Excellent older Seiko
12Miyota 9019$500–900~42h⭐⭐⭐⭐½Thin 28,800-vph option
13Seiko NH34$300–600~41h⭐⭐⭐⭐½Fantastic cheap GMT
14Sellita SW300-1$1,000–2,000~42h⭐⭐⭐⭐½Excellent thin Swiss
15ETA 2892-A2$1,000–2,000~42h⭐⭐⭐⭐½Superior thin Swiss workhorse
16Seiko 7S26$150–400~41h⭐⭐⭐⭐½Legendary durability
17Tudor MT56xx$3,000–5,000~70h⭐⭐⭐⭐½Excellent luxury value
18Omega 2500 Co-Axial$2,500–5,000 used~48h⭐⭐⭐⭐½Great used-watch value
19Omega 8800/8900$5,000–8,000+55–60h⭐⭐⭐⭐½Superb modern engineering
20Rolex 3135$7,000–12,000 used~48h⭐⭐⭐⭐½Exceptional durability
21Rolex 3235$10,000+~70h⭐⭐⭐⭐Outstanding, but diminishing returns
22Grand Seiko 9S$4,000–8,000~55h⭐⭐⭐⭐Exceptional finishing
23Zenith El Primero$6,000–12,000~50h⭐⭐⭐⭐Superb chronograph
24Valjoux/ETA 7750$1,500–4,000~42h⭐⭐⭐⭐½Great chrono workhorse
25Seiko 8R48$2,000–4,000~45h⭐⭐⭐⭐Excellent Japanese chrono
26IWC 32111/32110$3,000–6,000~72h⭐⭐⭐⭐Excellent modern architecture
27Nomos DUW 3001$3,000–5,000~43h⭐⭐⭐⭐Beautifully engineered
28Longines L888$1,500–3,000~72h⭐⭐⭐⭐½Excellent mid-price Swiss
29Sellita SW300$1,000–2,000~42h⭐⭐⭐⭐½Great ETA 2892 alternative
30Patek Philippe 240$30,000+ watches~48h⭐⭐⭐Technically extraordinary, terrible $/performance
................

🥇 My overall winner: Miyota 9015

This is the movement I'd choose if I wanted to maximise mechanical quality per dollar.

The 9015 is:

  • 28,800 vph
  • about 42-hour reserve
  • 24 jewels
  • hacking
  • hand winding
  • only about 3.9 mm thick
  • relatively inexpensive
  • widely available
  • very easy to service

Its thinness is particularly useful because it allows manufacturers to make a genuinely slim automatic watch.

Why #1 rather than NH35?

The NH35 is extraordinarily good value, but the 9015 gives you:

higher frequency + thinner movement + generally better positional performance potential.

So I'd describe them as:

NH35 = unbeatable cheapness

9015 = sweet spot

...........
My personal "sweet spot"

If I had to pick five movements for five different purposes:

PurposeMovement I'd choose
Absolute cheap value🥇 Seiko NH35
Best overall value🥇 Miyota 9015
Best Swiss value🥇 Sellita SW200-1
Best long power reserve/value🥇 Powermatic 80
Best luxury engineering/value🥇 Omega 8900

...................

No comments:

Post a Comment