Wednesday 31 October 2018

LZX Cadet IX - DIY video Synth - VCO

Some pics of the Cadet DIY modular video synth build.
I am an independent builder and have nothing to do with LZX industries.
These aren't official build notes, just my records to help me trouble shoot.
It's a work in progress.
Do let me know if you spot any errors or omissions.
This is module no.9 (VCO IX).
LZX describe it as a wideband triangle core VCO.

 ic'S used:
LM6172IN/NOPB --- this is a dual op amp... specified at ±5V power supply for low
                                 voltage applications such as portable video systems.
TL431BQLPR ----- Adjustable Precision Shunt Regulator
                               TL431 shunt regulator circuit explained 
TL072IP - standard op amp
SN74HC14N - it's a hex schmitt trigger
CD4066BE - CMOS quad bilateral SPST switch
 ----------------------
I'm guessing that the SN74HC14N is being used as the schmitt trigger oscillator.
If I'm reading the schematic correctly, a square wave is developed from the Schmitt trigger and the triangular wave is developed across a capacitor. They are output through buffer amplifiers (LM6172).

This same IC is used in the Cadet IV Dual ramp generator

(Another IC that would probably do a similar job is the 40106  - also a Hex Schmitt-trigger Inverter..
or a 74HC4046... phase locked loop ??? ................... a couple of thoughts for another day)

 DPDT & SPDT switch (on on). These aren't right angled, so I'll have to hand wire them.
We nEED  matched transistors.
I had to do something similar many years ago for an ARP 2600 clone ... the TTSH
 http://djjondent.blogspot.com/2014/08/transistor-matching.html



R43 -- I could use a TempCo but instead using a standard 2K resistor
Resistor 43 = tempCo?
 I decided not to use a TempCo in this case. Just used a standard resistor. I like my VCOs to be untuneable. :-)

 The 10k pots finally arrived. I had trouble finding these. (I got them from thonk)




ICs , parts etc used in this project:
LM6172IN/NOPB
TL431BQLPR
TL072IP
SN74HC14N
CD4066BE


Mods:
+There is a Square output on the C9 circuit. You can output it directly or use it with the triangle to drive a sawtooth waveshaper circuit.

Links:
LZX official
Muffs - Cadet series DIY/assembled
7414 oscillator -DIY
How Video Oscillators work - Muffs

---------------------------
Click here to access the Video Index page

4 comments:

  1. what is that gum looking stuff you have on the IC?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bluetack. I use it to hold IC's etc in place before soldering

      Delete
    2. Ok thanks for the reply. That's a good idea.

      Delete
  2. Do you think I could replace the 2 1N4148 200mA diodes with a 1N4148 150mA?

    ReplyDelete